If you love jazz, gospel and soul then you must have heard of Take 6! This American group have won numerous awards for their inspiring music and their latest album Iconic shot to number one on the US Jazz billboards!
The history of TAKE 6
Their story began in 1980 when Claude McKnight formed a group called The Gentleman’s Estates Quartet at the campus of Oakwood College in Huntsville, Alabama. Two more members joined and they changed their name to the Alliance, changing it again in 1986 to Take 6 when they signed up with Warner Bros (another group had the same name).
Their first album won them two Grammy awards in 1988 and ranked in the Top Ten Billboard Contemporary Jazz and Contemporary Christian charts and the rest is history! Their next tour starts in February and takes them all over the US, spreading their love, friendship and inspiration across the continent!
Top Take 6 songs you might know
These are just some of the award-winning songs sung by Take 6 over the years!
- Spread Love in 1988 – winning a Grammy for the Best Jazz Vocal Performance (Duo or Group).
- The Saviour is Waiting in 1988 – winning a Grammy for the Best Jazz Vocal Performance (Duo, Group, Choir or Chorus).
- Biggest Part of Me in 1994 – winning a Grammy for the Best Rhythm & Blues Vocal Performance (Duo or Group).
- Brothers in 1997 – winning a Grammy for the Best Contemporary Soul Gospel Album.
- Seven Steps to Heaven in 2009 – winning a Grammy for the Best Jazz Instrumental Solo.
Well known artists who have sung with Take 6
This sextet is so well-known and loved that they have sung with some of the world’s icons! Ray Charles, Whitney Houston, Quincy Jones, k.d. Lang, Queen Latifah, Stevie Wonder and The Manhattan Transfer are just some of the awesome stars they have sung with on stage.